Thursday, June 4, 2015

Product Review - MDF 32mm bases from Modularterrain.com

When it was announced, I was violently opposed to the new 32mm basing push by GW. And the ones on the GW store sell for $.50 each ... which doesn't help matters. 

But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to see what all the fuss was about ... I'd heard some of the podcasters I listen to talk about how good they look.  And, let's face it, many of the CSM and SM sculpts are falling off the edge of their 25mm bases.

I looked at my local FLGS ... which carries a lot of the green plastic bases made by Renedra (http://www.renedra.co.uk/index.php).  I'd bought some for some WW2 minis I have to use with Bolt Action and they're quite good.  But Rendera doesn't sell 32mm -- only 30mms.

So then I turned to an old friend for help - Ebay - and found a Spanish seller called ModularTerrain.com. 

That's right... just about $.10 each after shipping... 
Modularterrain.com has an eBay store that lists all their products. (http://stores.ebay.com/Modular-Terrain?_trksid=p2047675.l2563) :


The bases arrived within 2 weeks (they come from Spain after all) in a small box (*amply padded) and packaged thusly.  I also got an email from the seller when they shipped.




Each one is 2.5mm thick, has flat smooth surfaces (ie: there's no top or bottom) and tight, lasercut sides that are fairly smooth too.  They take glue (*in my case I'm using LOCTITE) like a champ -- both for affixing the miniature to them, and for putting on base materials.   I've even pin drilled one to take a metal Chaplain (after snipping off the tab) and it worked just fine.



My final note would be that if you look at their store on Ebay, they also sell a wide variety of paint stands -- and their shipping costs a re less than those from Hobbyzone (http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/). I can't compare the products, since I only own those from Hobbyzone (*and heartily endorse them).

So all in all, very satisfied with my find on eBay. Worth a look if you're looking for bases for your armies (40K or otherwise).   



No comments:

Post a Comment